2019 Passive Projects Design Competition
We invite you to the 5th Annual Passive Projects Competition Awards Ceremony on Thursday, December 5 at 5:30pm in Independence Center A & B. Back by popular demand, this juried competition recognizes fully certified passive building projects of all types and climate zones. This is your chance to showcase your work and celebrate the great strides being made in the field of passive building!
Deadline Extended! Entries are due by Friday, November 15, 2019 at 11:59pm ET.
Winning and honorable mention awards will be given in five categories:
- Single Family
- Commercial / Institutional
- Source Zero
Additionally, two projects from the above winners will be awarded:
- Best Overall Project of this year’s competition
- Best Project by a Young Professional (35 or under)
The winning and finalist entries will be unveiled during the opening of Independence Center A & B and accompanying reception from 5:30-7:30pm on Thursday, December 5, 2019 in the Hyatt Regency Crystal City in Washington, DC. Awarded entries will remain on display throughout the core conference from December 6 – December 7, 2019.
- Submitters of winning entries will receive one full year of PHAUS membership (existing members will be extended by one year)
- Winning projects will be featured in follow-up coverage of the conference by Green Building & Design magazine
- PHIUS and PHAUS will feature winning entries as case studies on their home pages
- PHIUS and PHAUS will publicize winners via social media, e-newsletters, and press outlets
- PHAUS members: $95
- Non-members: $145
*Entry fee covers poster printing and mounting of award winners and runners up in all categories.
* The PHI database includes a variety of entries – only those marked as certified are eligible.
Entries will be scored on a scale of 1 – 5 based upon the following criteria:
- Performance (e.g., meets PHIUS+ standard, better than standard, crushes the standard)
- Difficulty level (climate/site/location/requirements challenges)
- Design (e.g., smart use of space)
- Health (e.g., use of non-toxic materials)
PHIUS/PHAUS will assemble a panel of five jurors, each of whom meets two of the following three criteria:
- CPHC®, PHIUS Certified Builder, PHIUS+ Rater or PHIUS+Verifier in good standing
- Completion of at least one certified project
- Licensed professional
This year’s jurors are: To be announced
How to Enter
- Register and pay the entry fee using the links at the bottom of the page.
- Complete the online application form (we recommend that you review the form and assemble the required information prior to completing the form).
- Upload a pdf suitable for printing and mounting a vertical orientation poster measuring 24″ wide x 36″ high and 300 dpi that includes:
- Project Title/Use-Type/Location/Client
- 250 word maximum text description of project
- WUFI Passive or PHPP results
*PHIUS employees and board members may not enter their own projects into the competition; however, other project team members/firms are eligible to enter a project. Projects with a PHIUS board member as CPHC are eligible to apply.
Deadline for Entry Monday, November 11, 2019 at 11:59pm ET.
Projects must be fully certified by entry deadline. Payment, online application and poster board (pdf) must all be submitted by entry deadline.
Winners will be announced on Thursday, December 5, 2019 during the opening of Independence Center A & B and accompanying reception from 5:30-7:30pm at the Hyatt Regency Crystal City at Reagan National Airport in Washington DC.
If you have trouble with the form above click here.